Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mega ToWatchPile Update Part Ichi (1) - Trek-along Y'all!


Hi All. I've realized that I've been actively watching movies from my #towatchpile without posting any information about it! I've also added a bunch and am always happy to add more (it should be called the towatchbottomlesspit). So this is my start. I might make it a regular segment :)

Star Treks 1-6 (minus 5) + Star Trek (the new prequel-ish one)
I know. I'm 30 at the end of February, a movie geek, and I watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture for the first time at the end of last year. In my defense, my sci-fi love comes from my Dad, and he never liked Star Trek. My first viewings of Star Wars, Alien, Blade Runner, and Predator were all with my Father, consequently I was never introduced Star Trek.


So when the new one was announce... well, I didn't care. But when it was announced that Zachary Quinto would play Spock, suddenly I needed on this bandwagon (mmm, Sylar). But I didn't want to be the annoying fuckstick in the cinema going "What? What? Why was that funny? I don't get it.". To avoid this, I didn't see it in the cinema. Instead, I watched all the Star Trek I could get my hands on. I have to say, I'm damn glad I did.

The new film is great fun and has some great references to the originals, but the best justification for my marathon was to recognize the awesomeness of Karl Urban as Bones. A lot of people rave about Quinto's Spock and ,don't get me wrong, he was great, but Urban was hilarious! Having watched Star Trek 6 days before watching the new one, I can tell you he was spot on. Not mimicking, but acting as a younger version. Loved it.


So if, like me, you've never a Star Trek film but wouldn't mind seeing the new one, do yourself a favor and watch at least one. You won't regret it. Or if you do, you were never going to love the new one anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment