Monday, March 1, 2010

Update – The Exceptional

Hello again! I’ve managed to find myself with my laptop and no TV, so I’ve resolved to get as much writing done as possible. Right now I’m on a train on my way to Kalgoorlie.

My last post went through some of the great films I’ve been watching as part of my 4 Week Subtitle Sensation. In this post I’m going to go through some of the exceptional films I’ve been watching. These are films I recommend everyone watch, though I’ll mention which are horror (not everyone enjoys horror).

AttackTheGasStationAttack the Gas Station
Hilarious! It’s like a Korean Airheads,  but with less reason and more madness! Everyone needs to see this film. Everyone :)

Audition
*Shudder* Whooee. There isn’t much I can say about this film without spoiling it, but I want to advise that it’s pretty much the slowest burn to ever stay alight, so give it a chance.

Inside
Horror, and then some! Almost too realistic. It’s quite possible to imagine the events of this film playing out exactly.

JSA: Joint Security Area
Oh God, that was so sad. You can see what’s going to happen, but you have to wait the whole film to learn exactly how. I was distraught afterwards. Just ask my twitterfiends!

let_the_right_one_in_poster Let The Right One In
Original vampire movie. I know! There’s 2 in this list! Beautifully shot, slow-burn film. Loved it.

Martyrs
Has it’s own post but it has spoilers. It’s an uber-intense study of torture, madness and faith. Not for the faint hearted.

Tetsuo
Cyberpunk, noisy, madness. Listen to the VCinema Podcast (if it’s out yet *dig dig*). Actually, you should be doing that anyway.

The Bird People in China
Awwwww! I loved this movie! The yakuza is my favourite. He’s funny from his first scene :)
I should probably mention its a Takashi Miike.
19-bird-people-in-china_1998_chugoku-no-chojin_4db2d0ce 
Thirst
Chan-Wook Park’s take on the vampire thing. Very awesome (of course) with Park’s usual quirky humour which I am completely in love with.

9 comments:

  1. Your description of 'Attack the Gas Station' has peaked my interest. I will have to check that one out.

    I flat out love 'Let the Right One In.' I'm waiting now to see if the American version will completely screw it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attack of the Gas Station rocks. When I was on my Korean binge, it was the first film than I got sidetracked into Park's vengeance trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Attack The Gas Station is the shiznit. Everybody should see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow rachel you are one sick woman. so you enjoy watching films that glorify violence against women, i suppose? do you think rape is sexy, too? disgusting people like you make privileged white dudes think it’s okay to make jokes about women having no rights, being in the kitchen all the time, and being sex slaves. way to go, rachel! also, your sense of humor is pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somebody needs to take a chill pill and clam down. There is nothing wrong in liking violent films.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, they always leave it anonymous. Fucking people...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry Rach, I'm responsible for the pussification of this country for not liking when kids get killed in horror films.

    :D

    Chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why would anyone search out a movie opinion blog that features flicks like Audition if they're such namby pamby prudes? Yeesh. Open your mind a wee little bit.

    BTW, I take offense, I'm a non-privileged white guy who LOVES to make jokes about keeping women as sex slaves. Your condescending stereotypes are unnecessary and dare I say 'class-ist' to those of us not financially stable enough to own our own harem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also find that comment funny as Audition is mor violent to men than women.

    Attack the gas station protrays some men (teenagers) as idiots.

    JSA isn't really about sex at all.

    Tetsou is just plain body horror and depending on which film you are talking about, it's more about physical change of a man due to the lost of his wife & son than anything totally outward violent towards women (it's been 10+ years since I seen these 2 titles).

    Maytrs is the only one on this list I haven't seen that I know is relentlessly violent and involves women (I really need to see this film to comment properly).

    So someone needs to get of their high horse, comeback and explain their reason for such an outburst with examples of why it is wrong to like these films. Hiding behind anonymous isn't constructive, it's just trolling and should effectively strike you from the right of commenting on any blog anywhere.

    ReplyDelete